Today, November 3, is International Sandwich Day. Bet you had no idea there was an entire day dedicated to the food of ultimate convenience, did you? Well, now you know. And now it’s time to celebrate. But listen, gone are the days when a ‘sami’ was two slices of bread, a few strokes of butter, a slice of cheese and two slivers of tomato. Or (I had a particular aversion to these) peanut butter and jam. Let us help you out: celebrate National Sandwich Day by trying out one of these delectable variations for lunch.
Smoked Salmon Salad Sandwich
You will need
- A few pieces of smoked salmon, roughly chopped [use prawns, if you fancy it]
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- Handful of chopped chives and capers
- Grated lemon zest
- Black pepper
Combine your ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Spread on anything you like: painini, ciabatta, health bread…a bread roll, even a wrap, if you like! Add in a few slivers of avo if that’s your flavour!
Pork and Slaw Sandwich
You will need
- A few pieces of pork shoulder (really, you can use whatever meat you have laying around…bacon, beef, even chicken)
- A handful of cabbage leaves
- A handful of grated carrot
- A few tablespoons of mayo
- Dijon mustard
Toss the carrot and cabbage together and combine with mayo to make a quick slaw. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Spread mustard on a hot, toasted bun and plop a handful of meat onto it. Top with slaw and enjoy!